Accurate salary information is generally hard to come by. Employers- especially small businesses- often don’t know how much to pay their staff at market value, and job seekers frequently don’t know what their skillset is worth. Large discrepancies in salaries for equal work can be attributed to the inaccessibility of credible and fair salary benchmarks.
We were invited to talk about the state of jobs in South Africa, the average salary and the top industries to work in. Listen to the interview with 702’s Bruce Whitfield here:
How was this salary benchmark created?
- Giraffe collects actual employee data based on candidate profiles and self-reported salary information
- This benchmark is based on actual candidate data from a base of around one million candidates and a representative sample of 131k candidates, with data no older than 2018.
- This analysis largely excludes high skilled individuals and senior management/executives so it represents the majority of working South Africans
Summary of the main findings of the Salary Benchmark
- The average salary for the majority of working South Africans is R6,400 per month
- 29% of working people earn less than the national minimum wage
- Retail is the biggest industry (employing 18% of the workforce) but is also one of the worst paying (40% earn below minimum wage).
- Banking and IT pay some of the highest salaries but employ only 8% of the working population
Giraffe is a job board that automatically screens candidates so you don’t have to. Giraffe enables South African businesses to recruit medium-skilled staff faster and more affordably than any other recruitment method. Because Giraffe has automated the boring parts of the recruitment process– candidate sourcing and screening– business owners and recruiters can focus on more important tasks like interviewing the best candidates and managing retention. Simply post a job on Giraffe. Let Giraffe automatically screen candidates as they apply. Log in, see which candidates have passed your screening, listen to their voice notes and hire the best ones!